There is hardly anyone who doesn't like Risotto - so creamy, delicious, soft, so rich - yum!
Enough ogling at Food Network's Giada's recipes made sure that I made this at home. Risotto is an Italian speciality and that which makes use of only certain limited types of rice which has highest content of the glutinous starch, no wonder , its so creamy. Types used for this dish are the well known Italian grown Arborio rice. Then some others are Vialone, Carnaroli, and Baldo rice.
One thing I like about Italian cooking is the inclusion of lots of veggies in their dishes. It works v well for me since, being a vegetarian, i can make most of them excluding just that minimal non-veg. I know that Traditional Risotto has oil,butter,cream and cheese which makes it totally irresistible, I as always try to get the best of both the worlds. So have tried to mellow down the richness without compromising on that lip-smacking taste. Veggie-lover Risotto is my entry to Sathya & Liz 's Risotto Relay
Here is my more subtle but healthier version of Risotto.
Method
1. Heat some olive oil in a pan. You can also use a mix of both butter and olive oil in small qty.. Saute the Bay leaf, Pearl onions and then garlic in that order.
2. When the onions turn translucent and aroma starts coming in, add Broccoli and peppers.
3.After 3-4 minutes add the rest of the veggies and stir fry for another 5 min.
4.Add the rice and mix well and keep stirring on and off for another 5 min.
5.Add vegetable stock cup by cup, as and when the rice absorbs the stock/water. I haven't specified the amount of water/stock since the amount varies with the type of rice used.Add the milk.
6. Its done when the rice is al dente. I know technically I should add Parmesan cheese at this point. But oh well, i added Part skim mozzarella instead! I know I am going to be killed but then..umm..no excuse! :)
Veggie lover risotto is ready!
This, along with some home baked bread brushed with Olive oil, made a wonderful meal!
Hey , I almost forgot, I have a new poll in the right hand side, would luv it if you could chip in with your choice!