My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected soon. If not, visit
http://chefinyou.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, December 19, 2008

B2B series - Back to Basics

"Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. "
- Julia Child


Recently a friend of mine asked me for a recipe which I made for a potluck party. After 10 mins into it, which she patiently listened, she had just this to say "Can you translate what you said just now, in English!" I was flabbergasted for a while, until it struck me that few words which I use, weren't that commonplace and I am not from any culinary school with a degree! Thanks to blogging, I think I have come far when I had to think twice about what exactly terms like "proofing","julienne" mean!




This incident made me realize that there is terminology out there, recipes which are supposed to be the "Basics" of cooking which yet we are not aware of. Hence, to equip myself more in this area and also to share what I have learnt so far from friends, Chefs in TV, Books etc, I have decided to start this series called B2B Series - Back to Basics. I will be posting some of the basic recipes and "how to's?" Only vegetarian though! :) My plan is to make it a once every week series.

Hope you find this as useful as I did :)

A - Fruits & Vegetables



1) Persimmon 101

2) What is Coulis?

3) Jerusalem Artichoke(Sunchoke) 101