My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected soon. If not, visit
http://chefinyou.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Roasted Pumpkin Soup and Back Again with AWED

Well..well..well. While I was "busy" under the delusion of being "busy" and hibernating from the blogging world, mails starting dropping in now and then. Mails/comments - with just few words, but that which had a powerful enough effect on me :) Thank you all for remembering me - it sure means way lot than you could possibly imagine. So while this was going on for last few weeks, a new title bestowed upon me jolted me out of my torpor. "A Riddle Queen" she calls me! Gawd! I grinned like a complete idiot! My riddles! Really? And what more - she did a "DK" (devilish smile here!!) and wrote a riddle too. With such things going on, how could I not acknowledge it, and so decided to start the flow once again! I sure had some mighty-lofty plans, but time turned againist me! (drat! what would I not do for that precious "Time-Turner")



With the pumpkin season in full gear and with AFAM celebrating its presence, I knew I had to post this recipe which I made for some guests. The photos are not fabulous but I hardly did manage to pull through a 7 course menu in matter of 6 hrs, leave alone taking photos. But habit helped to take some though and here is one of my Roasted Pumpkin Soup. Its delicious, creamy with no butter and no heavy cream. I managed to please the guest palate without these two important party ingredients! The recipe is simple and which allows you to multitask and here's how


    Ingredients
  • About 2 pounds pumpkin, chopped into chunks


  • 1 red onion, chopped


  • 2-3 cloves of garlic


  • 2 tsp ground cumin


  • 1 carrot, chopped


  • 1-2 green chillies


  • pinch of nutmeg


  • 1 tsp fennel seeds


  • 1/2 cup milk


  • Salt n pepper to taste


  • Sour cream, flat leaf parsley to garnish (optional)



Method

1.Place the pumpkin chunks in baking sheet and brush little Olive oil on the slices. Place the in a preheated oven at 350F




2.Bake for 30min or until they are soft and golden brown around the edges.


;">

3.Take out the pumpkin and with the help of a spoon remove the flesh from the skin and keep it aside.Meanwhile take a skillet and place the chopped onions, garlic, fennel seeds and the chillies. There is no need to add oil - just add some salt which will moisten the onions.Add the punmpkin flesh and 1-1/2 cups of water and let it cook for 5 min.



4.Now either with the help of an hand blender / food processor blend the solids and place them back in the pan. Add the nutmeg and milk and let it come to a boil - about 5min. Add salt/pepper if needed. Garnish with flat leaf parsley/cilantro and some sour cream.




This is my entry to AFAM - Pumpkin hosted by dear gal pal Madhu.



Also, I will be doing the round up for AWED Vietnamese soon and while I start putting it together ( thanks for all those who diligently sent me their entries even in my absence), lemme announce the next AWED theme which follows the theme of the season - at least in my part of the world.